Thursday, October 11, 2012

Fabulous Food: Cold press coffee


It's no secret that I LOVE coffee, but I have often wondered why iced coffee costs more than hot coffee.  I mean...it's just cold coffee...right?   When I figured out exactly what "cold press" is, I was surprised at how easy it is to make and just how good it really is.

Here is the key to saving yourself $4 a day.  I promise you won't even miss that plastic cup with the green straw.


Here is what you will need-

1 lb. of your favorite coarse ground coffee
1 gallon of cold water
a large enough bowl to hold the two things above
a fine mesh strainer
coffee filters
1 gallon pitcher
plastic wrap


Directions:

Combine the water with the coffee grounds in a large bowl.  Stir until all of the coffee is saturated.  Cover with plastic wrap and leave at room temperature for 12 hours.



Now, this part of the recipe takes some time, but it will be well worth it.  Line your strainer with a coffee filter and set on top of your pitcher.  Slowly pour the coffee mixture into the strainer.  And then you wait...it will take a while and you will have to switch out the coffee filters several times. 


What you are left with is a acid free, smooth and full-bodied coffee.  I have made coffee before in a normal coffee maker and refrigerated what was left over in the coffee pot.  This "cold press" coffee is head and shoulders above that coffee.  This process makes a coffee concentrate which is perfect for iced drinks and will last in your fridge up to a month.


  Pour your coffee over ice...


...add your favorite creamer...


...and you have a PERFECT glass of iced coffee that tastes as good as the "cold press" coffee you are used to. 


...and here is one of my favorite tips- I pour a tray full of coffee ice cubes whenever I make this coffee.   I don't like taking a sip of watered down coffee- these cubes keep your coffee cold while keeping the taste good.  You can find them here.


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment