Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Fabulous Food: Chocolate dipped Coconut Macaroons


We lived in Kansas City when Ava was born...a thousand miles from both of our families.  There was no greater time in my life that I wanted and needed to be near my family more.  Because we did live so far away...AND because I was a new mother who felt strangely out of my depth, I searched out places and things that reminded me of home.  One of those places was Dean & Deluca, where I went almost every day for the "Charlotte" pecan-flavored coffee and their chocolate dipped coconut macaroons.  Something about that combination, comforted me through all of the new challenges I was facing.  A little taste of the South in my mid-Western world.  With this trip down memory lane, I decided to make my own today. 



Ingredients:

3 c unsweetened flaked coconut
1 c sugar
7 Tbsp all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
5 egg whites
1 tsp almond extract
1 bag (12 ozs.) semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 Tbsp shortening

Directions:

1. Combine the coconut, sugar, flour and salt together in a large bowl.


2. Stir in egg whites and almond extract.  Mix it very well.


3. Drop by rounded tablespoon fulls onto a greased cookie sheet.  Bake at 325 degrees for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.  Let them cool. 




The macaroons are delicious just as they are, but if you want to make them a little more of an indulgence, dip them in semi-sweet chocolate.

4.  Pour your semi-sweet chocolate chips into a microwaveable bowl along with the shortening.  Cover and microwave on high for 1 1/2 - 2 minutes.  Stir until melted and smooth.


5.  Dip each macaroon into the chocolate and shake off the excess into the bowl.  Place them onto wax paper until the chocolate has cooled. 


Enjoy! Enjoy! Enjoy!


The macaroons at Dean & Deluca are about ten times this size, but who can justify that...unless of course, you just had a baby : )


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment