Tuesday, November 26, 2013

DIY: Paper bag Advent calendar


I have wanted to make an advent calendar for the girls for the past few years, but I never got to it.  This year, I was determined that in spite of Ava's birthday coming right on the heels of Thanksgiving, I was not going to miss out on another year.  So...yes...I am one of those people who have started decorating for Christmas before we have even enjoyed Thanksgiving- something I said I would never do.  I have to say though...I am pretty excited about how it turned out.  And it was super easy too!

You will need-

2 different sizes of paper bags
clothepins
washi tape (various sizes and patterns)
black sharpie
2 sets of number stencils (in different fonts)
6 small nails


I found these two sets of numbers, printed them on thick card stock, cut them out, and used them as my stencils.  I used the first set on the smaller paper bags, and the second set on the larger paper bags.  


Once, I traced the numbers on each bag, I used the washi tape to decorate each one.  I found many different washi tape designs at Michael's, and they were half off too.


I did not want all the bags to be stuffed with candy, so I raided all the one dollar bins at Target, Wal-Mart, Michaels, etc. and found some amazing stuff- pencils, holiday crafts, ornaments, hand warmers, and the list goes on.


After stuffing each bag, I took the canvas ribbon, and created three swags above my mantle, each 12" inches apart.  I knotted the ribbon, and nailed it to the wall under the knot, so the nail was hidden. 

I then took my trusty clothespins and...


... hung the bags.  Eight bags on the first row, nine on the second and eight more on the third row. 


I really love the way it turned out.  And I have every intention of reusing them from year to year.


As each day goes by, I will let the girls get down one bag, and then we will fold it flat, and hang it back up.  That way, the calendar can be a focal point throughout the Christmas season. 


I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving first : ) and a very Merry Christmas after that!


Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I love this!!! I feel really inspired to make a similar calander :-) i just can't think of what I could put in each one as my little man is only 5 months old :)

    ReplyDelete