Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Artist Spotlight: Ann Hamilton


There is a new art installation at the Park Avenue Armory, in New York City, that I am dying to see.  Ann Hamilton's show The Event of a Thread is open now until January 6th.  The Armory space is 55,000 square feet  in which 42 swings are hanging for patrons to try out.  The space is divided by a huge piece of silk that flows and billows as the air is stirred by the back and forth motion of the swings.  When I was a child, the swings were my favorite part of a playground, and even now, I will join my girls on the swings to feel the wind blow past me in a worry-free moment.  So when I saw this installation- and the larger concept it was addressing, I was enthralled. 

I LOVE the idea of the silk curtain reacting to the air you create as you swing through the space.  And you can see the curtain billowing towards you as it is being pushed by the person on the other side of the curtain.  One more reason why I wish I was in New York right now.    


The Event of a Thread is on display from December 5th through January 6th.  If you live in New York, please go for me, for I will be living vicariously through you. 







 You can see Ann Hamilton's artist statement on her official website here

(All images via My Modern Met)


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment