When Ava decided to have a camping theme for her 7th birthday, I wanted to make cupcakes that would embody the camping experience but not be your typical cupcake. S'mores seemed to be the perfect choice, but I just needed to figure out how to have all the flavors of a s'more be represented in the cupcakes. The result was a perfectly messy treat that had everything you love about a s'more.
You will need:
- Chocolate cupcakes baked in kraft paper cupcake liners
- mini marshmallows
- snack size hershey chocolate bars
- mini graham crackers
- marshmallow fluff
- mini kitchen torch
1. Bake the cupcakes and let them cool down. While they are cooling, you can start on the mini-s'more cupcake toppers.
2. Using a toothpick, put a small dab of marshmallow fluff on one side of the mini graham crackers, and then place one section of chocolate bar on the graham cracker.
3. Use a little fluff when you add each layer, so the s'more will stay together. Add a little fluff onto the chocolate and then add a mini marshmallow that has been slightly flattened on top of it.
4. Using the mini torch, brown the marshmallow.
5. Add a little more fluff and then top the marshmallow with another graham cracker.
6. When the cupcakes have cooled down enough, spread marshmallow fluff on top of the cupcakes. The fluff will be hard to spread, but it will smooth out over time. Do not worry if the fluff drips over the sides- it adds to the ooey gooey s'more look : )
7. Use the torch to brown and toast the marshmallow fluff. Be careful while you do this- the liner will burn as you do this. Blow it out as you go along.
8. The last thing to do is add the s'more cupcake topper. Add one last dab of marshmallow fluff on top of the cupcake and then place the topper onto it.
You will be amazed by how good these little guys are. They really do taste like a classic s'more. A word of advice though...make sure to make a lot of them. They will disappear before you know it.
*** Be sure to check out the rest of the Camping Birthday Party here.